This Nutella sweet roll is an easy alternative to cinnamon rolls. It’s a delicious sweet bun, filled with Nutella spread and topped with chopped hazelnuts. If you are also a fan of hazelnut chocolate, you will definitely enjoy this as much as I do.
- 260 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 50 g (¼ cup) granulated sugar
- 3 g (½ tsp) table salt
- 5 g (½ tbsp) instant yeast
- 1 egg
- 90 g (6 tbsp) lukewarm milk
- 42 g (3 tbsp) unsalted butter room temperature
- 120 g (6 tbsp) hazelnut chocolate spread or nutella
- 30 g (3 tbsp) chopped hazelnuts
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Add egg and lukewarm milk. Mix until it becomes a dough.
- Transfer onto a work surface and knead the dough for 2 minutes. Then add butter and knead until it is fully incorporated. It will be messy but keep kneading until the dough becomes less greasy and easier to handle. Knead for 8 minutes or until it is smooth, elastic, and not sticky.
- Shape into a dough ball. Grease it with some vegetable oil and place in a large bowl. Cover the bowl and let sit for about 1 hour.
- Transfer the dough onto a work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll it into a 3/16-inch (5 mm) thick rectangle.
- Spread hazelnut chocolate / nutella throughout the dough but leave 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) of the short edge bare. Brush the bare edge with water.
- Starting from the opposite edge, roll the dough until the end to form a log. Using a serrated bread knife or a piece of dental floss, slice the log into 12 equal-sized pieces.
- Arrange them on a baking tray. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Brush each with egg wash (whisk 1 egg with 1 teaspoon of water). Top with chopped hazelnuts. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack.