Jelly roll cake are thin sponge cakes that are filled then rolled. They give a pastry chef a wonderful range of creativity. A jelly roll cake starts with the sponge cake and you should master this skill.
- 4 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
- ¼ cup icing sugar, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅒ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¾ cup cake and pastry flour
- ⅔ cup raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line the bottom of a 15-x-10-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Place the egg yolks and icing sugar in a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment and whip until the yolks have doubled in volume and hold a ribbon when the whip is lifted, about 4 minutes. Whip in the vanilla.
- In a separate, or cleaned bowl, whip the egg whites with the salt first on low speed until foamy
- Increase the speed to high and pour in the granulated sugar, whipping until the whites hold a medium peak.
- Sift half of the flour into the yolk mixture and fold in using a whisk, then fold in half of the whipped egg whites.
- Repeat with the remaining flour, and then change to a spatula to fold in the last of the whites until evenly incorporated.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, taking the time to ensure the butter is level.
- Bake the cake for about 12 minutes, until the cake springs back when gently pressed in the centre.
- Let the cake cool for about 2 minutes on a cooling rack, then loosen the sides with a spatula.
- Sift a layer of icing sugar over the surface of the cake and cover with a clean tea towel.
- Place a second cake pan over the towel and quickly invert the cake, removing the pan it was baked in.
- Peel off the parchment paper and dust this surface with icing sugar.
- Roll the cake up from the 10-inch side with the towel and let it cool completely.
- Stir the raspberry jam to soften. Unroll the cake and spread an even layer of jam over the cake.
- Roll the cake back up again, dust the top with icing sugar. Cover and store at room temperature until ready to serve.
- The cake can be prepared up to a day in advance and stored, wrapped and unrefrigerated.