Pineapple tarts are a must for Chinese New Year. This is an easy and the best pineapple tarts recipe ever. Makes 30 crumbly and buttery pineapple tarts.
- 2 1/2 cups (350 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar or icing sugar or powdered sugar
- 2 sticks (8 oz./ 1 cup/ 225 g) unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg yolk + 1/2 tablespoon condensed milk, lightly beaten for egg wash
Pineapple Jam (Filling)
- 3 cans (20 oz. can) sliced pineapples
- 10 tablespoons (1/2 cup) sugar, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon cloves, optional
- If you are using canned pineapple slices, drain the pineapple slices and then squeeze the extra water/juice with your hands. Blend the canned pineapples until they are mushy, about 10 seconds. If you use fresh pineapples, remove the skin, cut into pieces and blend for 10 seconds.
- Transfer the blended pineapple into a deep pan (non-stick preferably). Add sugar and cloves and stir well. Cook on medium to low heat until most liquid has evaporated, and the pineapple jam turns golden in color. Stirring constantly and continuously using a wooden spoon to avoid burning. Taste, and add more sugar as needed. Remove and discard the cloves and let cool in the fridge. Pineapple jam for pineapple tarts.
- Sieve the flour, cornstarch, salt and sugar in a big bowl or container. Soften the butter to room temperature. Combine the flour mixture, butter, and egg yolks together. Knead to form the dough. The dough is ready when it doesn’t stick to the hand. If the dough is too crumbly or dry, add a little bit more butter (about 1 tablespoon) until the dough is easy to work with.
- Divide the dough and pineapple jam (filling) each into 30 equal rounds. Flatten the pastry dough with your palms and put the pineapple filling in the middle and use the dough to cover the filling. Use your palms to round it up and then shape it into a roll about 1 1/2-inch long shape. Use a small paring knife to make criss-cross patterns on the tart and then brush it with the egg wash (see picture above) using a small pastry brush. Place the pineapple tarts on a tray lined with parchment paper, arrange the pineapple tarts so they are at least 1 inch apart of each other. Pineapple tarts before baking in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until light brown.