This is the fluffiest dinner rolls you will ever make at home. The ingredients are so simple and they are melting in your mouth soft. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add one and a half cup of warm whole milk, to that add granulated sugar and whisk to combine then sprinkle the top with one tablespoon of active dry yeast and set it aside. Once the mixture has bloomed, add warm melted butter and the rest of sugar and salt then whisk to combine.
Add the flour half a cup at a time and whisk in to incorporate between each addition. Continue doing that until it’s too thick to whisk then which to the dough hook attachment and knead the dough until it’s very soft but not sticky. Transfer the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap then let that rise in a warm room for about 2 hours or until the dough doubles in size.
Once the dough has risen, lightly dust your work surface with flour then turn the dough onto your floured surface and lightly kea it to remove any trapped air then divide the dough into about 9 or 15 dinner rolls or more depending with the size of your pan. Roll each dough piece into balls. Lightly grease a 9 by 9 or 9 by 13 casserole dish the add in your dinner rolls and space them well.
Cover them with a plastic wrap and let them rise in a warm place for about an hour. When they are nearly done, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake them for 23 to 25 minutes or until they have risen and the top is beautifully golden brown.
As soon as they are out of the oven, brush them with melted butter and sprinkle the top with kosher salt while the butter is still fresh and melted. Let the rolls cool slightly before serving.
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) whole milk
- 1/3 cup (75 grams/ 2.5Oz) granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 Tbsp (57 grams/ 2Oz) unsalted butter
- 4 cups (480 grams/ 17Oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted to brush the tops.
- Kosher salt to sprinkle on finished rolls
- In the bowl of your mixer, whisk together warm milk and 1 tbsp sugar. Sprinkle the top with 1 tbsp yeast and let sit 1 minute. Whisk together and let it sit for about 5 minutes until yeast looks foamy then add 4 tbsp melted butter, remaining sugar and salt.
- Add flour half a cup at a time until the dough whisking to incorporate then place the stand mixer with the hook attachment and knead the dough while adding the rest of the flour. Knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth but not sticky.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap and let it rise about 2 hours in a warm place or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough rises, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and cut it into 15-24 even pieces depending on the shape of your baking dish. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and place them onto an oiled 9×13 casserole dish or baking sheet.
- Cover the dinner rolls with plastic wrap and let them rise another 30-60 minutes in a warm place or until puffed then bake at 375F for about 23-25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.