An elegant and sophisticated sweet treat perfect for Mother’s Day. These pretty, light cupcakes flavoured with Earl Grey tea and topped with a sharp lemon icing, are sure to be loved by all.
- 125ml full-fat milk
- 2 Earl Grey tea bags
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 185g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g self-raising flour
- 75g ’00’ flour
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g lighter mascarpone
- 300g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon curd
- pared zest of 1 lemon or half/quarter
- slices of lemon, to decorate
- Heat the milk in a pan, add the teabags and set aside to infuse for at 20 mins then strain.
- Preheat the oven to 180’C, fan 160’C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with 10 muffin cases. Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric hand whisk until very light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the vanilla extract and fold in the flours. Finally mix in the infused milk.
- Divide between the baking cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 mins until golden and risen. Remove from the tin onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the icing. Beat the butter and mascarpone together with the icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest and the lemon curd and mix until incorporated, then spoon into a piping bag with a medium star-shaped nozzle.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, pipe with the icing in a swirly pattern. Finish with a little grated lemon zest sprinkled on top.