Super soft castella cake made filled with fresh heavy cream is the perfect dessert for a weekend. You can also enjoy this cake any day with a cup of tea.
- 40g butter
- 40g milk
- 30g sugar
- 1g salt
- 20g corn syrup
- 4 yolks
- Some vanilla extract
- Cake flour 80g
- Baking powder 2g
- 4 Egg whites
- 60g sugar
- 200g fresh cream
- 20g sugar
- Prepare the baking paper in a mini-round baking tin then separate 4 eggs into white and yolk separately.
- Prepare hot water bowl. (double boiling) then melt 40g butter and 40ml of milk in a bowl.
- Add 30g of sugar, 1g of salt and 20g of corn syrup and mix well until the butter melts then remove the hot water bowl and add 4 yolks and mix well. Add some vanilla extract for flavouring and mix it in.
- Sift 80g of cake flour and 2g of baking powder together and mix well.
- Put 4 whites in another bowl and beat it until foamy then add 60g of sugar and beat it until the meringue tip is slightly bent.
- Add 1/2 meringue into the egg yolk batter and mix gently until combined then add all remaining meringues and mix gently. so, that the foam does not crumble.
- Divide the batter into prepared mini-round tins. Before putting it in the oven, drop the tin 1 to 2 times onto the bench to remove large bubbles.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in an oven preheated to 340 degrees Fahrenheit (170 C).
- Once cooked, and while still in the tin, drop the castella from a height of 30cm onto the bench.
- Make a hole in the centre of the castella and use a small spoon to make space for fresh whipped cream. Fill the castella with fresh whipped cream, dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Making fresh whipped cream
- Put 200g of fresh heavy cream and 20g of sugar in a bowl and beat it.
- The cream will be separated if you overbeat. so, stop when it becomes slightly thick.