This vegan vegetable curry recipe is sure to brighten up any mealtime with its tasty combination of warming spices and vegetables
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tsp ground coriander
- 1 heaped tsp ground turmeric
- 1 aubergine, chopped into 1cm pieces
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200ml vegan-friendly hot vegetable stock
- 1 courgette, chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 300g basmati rice
- 100g spinach
- 150g peas (fresh or defrosted if frozen)
- chopped fresh coriander, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 7 mins until starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 3 mins then stir in the chilli and dried spices. Season, then cook for 1 min.
- Add the aubergine along with the chopped tomatoes and stock. Bring to a simmer, cover the pan and cook for 10 mins. Add the courgette and cook for 25 mins, taking the lid off for the final 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice to pack instructions.
- Once the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are tender, stir through the spinach and peas. Allow to heat through for 3-4 mins so that the spinach has wilted and the peas are tender.
- Season to taste, then serve with the cooked rice and a scattering of coriander.