This Creamy Vegan Lemon Pasta is full of bright citrus flavor & packed with spring veggies for a wholesome & refreshing meal that’s Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free.
- 1/2 cup (82 g) pine nuts*
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (Optional)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon; about 1/2 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 8 ounces (225 g) regular or gluten-free pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or plant-based butter (Optional)
- 1 bunch of swiss chard, de-stemmed chopped; stems and leaves separated
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup (135 g) frozen peas*
- 5 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced; about 5
- Fresh chives, for garnish (Optional)
- Prep the Pasta: bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; once boiling, add the pasta and cook until al dente, according to the package instructions.
- Make the Sauce: in the meantime, add the pine nuts, garlic, nutritional yeast, italian seasoning, red pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and water to a high-speed or bullet blender. Process for 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy.
- Sauté the Veggies: heat a large sauté pan with a lid over medium-high. Add the oil or butter once warm; for oil-free, use 1/4 cup of water instead. Add the chard stems to the pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until translucent. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the garlic, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt to the pan; sauté for 1 minute, then cover and let steam for another minute. Remove the lid from the pot and add the frozen peas; once they have thawed, add 1/4 cup of water to the pan along with the swiss chard leaves. Cover again and steam until the chard is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. There will be leftover water at the bottom of the pan, but this is okay.
- Add the Pasta to the pan along with the Lemon Cream Sauce and mix until well-combined; if there’s any extra liquid at the bottom of the pan, let the pasta sit for 2 to 5 minutes until it is absorbed. Season with salt to taste, then divide onto serving plates, top with fresh chives, and serve.