This easy orange cake is beyond moist and is packed with orange flavor throughout.
- 2½ cups (300g/ 10.58Oz) all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200g/ 7Oz) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest (about 3 oranges)
- 1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice (about 3 oranges/180ml)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Set your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then grease with butter or use baking spray then lightly dust with flour, and set it aside. Into a large bowl, sift two and a half cups of all-purpose flour together with three-quarters teaspoons of baking powder for leavening and one-quarter teaspoon of salt for contrast.
- Once you have sifted, whisk it up just to combine the ingredients and set it aside. In another bowl, add one cup of sugar, sugar does give you that wonderful sweet flavor and also makes your cake soft. Use a rasp to zest your orange and add the zest to the sugar, orange zest has so much flavor and will add a little brightened lift to the cake.
- You will need about two teaspoons of orange zest, you can use a more intense orange flavour. Using your clean hands, smoosh the sugar and orange zest together to release all the flavour, you want to get all that orange flavour out by making sure the zest is fully combined with the sugar until it’s almost like a wet sand texture. This works with lemon cupcakes and lemon cake too, use this for all citrus recipes. Slice the oranges and juice them, you will need three-quarters to one cup of orange juice.
- Freshly squeezed orange juice is amazing and so delicious, with the acid in the orange and the orange zest that you had zested is going to give you a tender and amazing cake. Add the freshly squeezed orange juice to the sugar orange zest mixture together with one tablespoon of vanilla extract.
- You will also add 240ml of vegetable oil and three large eggs then you are going to whisk it until nice and smooth. The next step is combining everything. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient and start mixing everything up. Mix it gently and fold it until combined. You don’t want to overmix this batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan and bake it in the 350 Fahrenheit preheated oven for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Once baked, let it rest on a wire rack then slice and serve. You can also glaze it with orange glaze and enjoy.