Sweet honey chicken! This modern Asian dish goes heavenly with steamed jasmine rice or softened rice stick noodles and is great for the whole family.
- 1/4 cup (90g) honey
- 1/4 cup (60ml) soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 700 gram chicken breast fillets, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 large brown onion (200g), sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 500 gram baby pak choy, quartered
- 500 gram choy sum, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoon dry roasted peanuts, chopped coarsely
- 1 fresh long red chilli, sliced thinly
Combine honey, sauce, five-spice, sherry, garlic and ginger in a small screw-top jar; shake well. Place chicken in a medium bowl, combine with half the honey mixture; cover, refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Reserve the remaining honey mixture, covered, in the fridge.
Drain chicken, discard marinade. Heat half the oil in a wok; stir-fry chicken and onion, in batches, until chicken is browned. Remove from wok.
Heat remaining oil in wok; stir-fry seeds until browned lightly. Return chicken to wok with pak choy, choy sum and reserved honey mixture; stir-fry until vegetables are just wilted. Sprinkle with peanuts and chilli to serve.