This is by far the best butter sponge cake, it is soft as cotton and has a high proportion of egg to the amount of flour.
- 4 large egg yolk (66g)
- 3tbsp sugar (40g)
- pinch of salt
- 3tbsp milk (46g)
- 3tbsp oil (40g)
- 2tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup +3tbsp cake flour(80g)
- 4 large egg white (130g)
- 1/4 cup sugar(50g)
- 1tsp lemon juice or vinegar
- In a bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar, salt, canola oil, vanilla, and milk. Sift cake flour 3 times and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy then add lemon juice and sugar a little bit at a time. whisk until it thickens to the stiff peak stage.
- Gently fold in the whites and yolk mixture until incorporated. Be careful do not over mix, otherwise, the foam will deflate and the cake won’t rise.
- Pour the mixture into 7 inch round baking pan. Bang the pan 2-3 times to remove any big air bubbles.
- Use a large baking tray, pour in hot water then place the cake pan in for a hot water bath.
- Place the tray on the bottom rack of the oven with top and bottom heat on and Bake at 150°C for 75- 80 minutes or until cake tests are done. bang the pan on the floor a few times to prevent the cake from shrinking.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool down. Leftover cake can be covered and kept in the freezer.