These delicious dinner rolls are so yummy, soft, and buttery. The garlic and grated Parmesan cheese just take the taste to a whole new level!
While this recipe is so simple and easy to follow, it does require a little time as you have to wait around for the dough to rise twice. But I promise the results are worth it.
- 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ½ cup warm whole milk
- ½ cup warm water
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- In a mixing bowl, combine the milk, water, yeast, 1 tablespoon sugar, and salt, then allow to sit for about 5 minutes, until foamy.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, ½ cup Parmesan, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the egg until well combined.
- Then add in the yeast mixture and 2 ½ cups flour and beat until a smooth batter forms.
- Using the dough hook, gradually add the remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, until a smooth ball of dough is formed. (it should be elastic and slightly tacky to the touch). Then increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl then place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat.
- Cover with a clean dishtowel and allow to sit in a warm place for about 45-60 minutes, until the dough has doubled in size.
- Gently punch down the dough to deflate. Roll into a 15-inch rope, cut into 15 1-inch pieces, pressing each piece into a disk, then shape into a ball.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- Place the dough balls into the prepared baking dish, brush the tops with butter and sprinkle with garlic.
- Then cover with a clean dishtowel and allow to sit for about 30-45 minutes in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Sprinkle the dough with the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 18-22 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Serve warm and enjoy.