Here’s an easy solution for entertaining a crowd.This Australian style slow-roasted beef brisket with a tangy homemade barbeque sauce is so tender it falls apart.You can cook it in the oven, slow cooker or a hooded BBQ, leaving you time to chat and relax with family and friends.
- 1 x 2 to 2.5Kg Beef brisket, fat trimmed (a little fat on the top is preferable)
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (add more if you like spicy food)
- 25gs butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- ⅓ cup packed Dark Brown Sugar
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Bundaberg rum (optional)
- Reserved brisket juices, skimmed of fat
- In a small bowl, mix the spice rub ingredients together until well combined. Gently rub the spice mix all over the brisket until coated.
- Spread two large sheets of foil down on the counter. Place the brisket (with the fat side up) on the foil and pull the edges of the foil up around the meat to seal it well (as it cooks, the meat will stay moist). Refrigerate to develop the flavour for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C or hooded BBQ to low and place an oven rack in the middle of your oven.
- Place the foiled meat pouch on a large oven tray (fat side up) and cook for about 4 hrs, until meat is tender. Remove from the oven and allow the brisket to rest until it’s cool enough to handle.
- Once cooled, open the foil pouch from the top and ladle the juices into a bowl. Skim any fat, and reserve the juices for the sauce. Keep the brisket wrapped in foil to stay warm.
- In a medium-sized pot, cook butter and onion over medium heat until lightly golden. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the dark brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, reserved meat juices and rum, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced by about half (approx. 10 mins).
- Turn the oven grill to high. Open the foil pouch to expose the top of the brisket. Brush the brisket with a layer of barbeque sauce and grill, uncovered, until the top is lightly browned, and the fat starts to crisp.
- Slice the brisket against the grain into 1cm slices and serve with extra barbecue sauce.