Homemade chocolate glazed doughnuts are a bit of a project, but they are less work than you might think, and the result is a truly great, hot, crisp doughnut with chocolate glaze. Once you’ve mastered this basic recipe for fluffy, yeasted chocolate glazed doughnuts, you can do pretty much anything you like in terms of glazes, toppings, and fillings. This is the best homemade chocolate glazed doughnuts recipe ever. These chocolate glazed doughnuts are better than anything you can buy.
- 2 pkg. yeast 4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup scalded milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup warm milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- Soften yeast in warm water. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine milk, shortening, sugar, salt and vanilla and cool to lukewarm.
- Add 1 cup of the flour and beat well.
- Beat in yeast, water, and eggs. Add remaining flour and make a soft dough. Knead well.
- Place in a greased bowl. Cover and chill for 3 hours (or overnight). If it raises in the refrigerator, punch it down.
- Turn on the lightly floured surface. Roll 1/3 inch thick.
- Cut with a floured doughnut cutter. Let the doughnuts rise for about an hour or until they double in size.
- Fry in canola or sunflower oil (350 degrees) for about 2 minutes per side or until brown.
- Turn only once or the doughnuts will soak up too much oil.
- Drain on a wire rack. Cool completely before attempting to glaze or fill the doughnuts.
- In a medium saucepan and heat over medium-low heat combine the butter, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla until butter is melted.
- Turn off the heat and add chocolate chips stirring until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the icing sugar and whisk until smooth. If you are glazing a lot of doughnuts you may need to keep the glaze warm on the top of a double boiler.
- Let the glaze set up for 30 minutes before serving.
For the chocolate glaze.