Finally, I am getting everything right on how to make the Japanese sponge cake after many attempts.The cake is bouncy like a sponge, with the soft and delicate texture resemble cotton when you tear it apart.I also add the cake batter to the dough of the chocolate Japanese milk bread. Here is the result- my delectable bread-cake that I missed so much after the nearby bakery decided to stop producing it.
- 100g (3.5 oz) cake flour
- 75g (2.6 oz) melted butter
- 60ml (4 tbsps) milk
- Vanilla extract (optional)
- 6 large eggs
- 80g (2.8 oz) castor sugar
- Measure the plain flour and sieve a least once.
- Add the flour to the melted butter after the butter is cooled. Mixed well.
- Add the milk. Mix well.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks and add to the flour-butter-milk mixture. Mix it thoroughly.
- Beat the egg whites with a hand-held mixer at low speed.
- Add the sugar into the egg white after about fifteen seconds of beating.
- Continue beating the egg whites until it can form a stiff peak.
- Add a quarter of the meringue to the batter to dilute the batter so that it is easier to mix, then add the diluted batter back to the bulk of the meringue. Fold the meringue into the batter slowly until it is almost homogenous.
- Line the cake pan with a large piece of baking paper. Brush the paper with some melted butter.
- Pour the cake mix into the pan.
- Gently tap the cake pan a few times to break the large bubbles.
- Place the cake on the lowest rack, with the hot water bath. Bake at 160 °C/320°F for sixty minutes.