These fairy cakes have a soft, velvety and irresistible crumb.
- 150g (5ozs) butter (at room temperature)
- 150g (5ozs) caster sugar
- 150g (5ozs) self-raising flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Icing (optional):
- 225g (8oz) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- Prepare two muffin tins lined with 18 muffin cases
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Put all ingredients except milk into a food processer, whizz until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add milk and whizz again. Divide mixture evenly between cases in the muffin tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until risen and golden.
- To make the icing, sieve the sugar into and add the lemon juice and sugar until it reaches spreadable consistency.