These classic biscuits are lovely served at morning tea alongside a mug of hot coffee. Be warned, though, the perfect combination of crunchy coconut and sweet, oozy raspberry jam is utterly moorish.We all have memories we hold onto from our childhood, but often some of the fondest are those involving food. Recreate them for your loved ones, and experience the sugary goodness again and again.
- 150 gram softened butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/4 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 cup desiccated coconut, plus 1 cup extra
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add egg and vanilla essence, beating to combine.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold flour and coconut through to form a dough. Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls. Roll in extra coconut to coat. Place on trays, 6cm apart, flattening slightly.
- Bake in 2 batches, 15-20 minutes each batch, until lightly golden. Working quickly, use a teaspoon to make indents in the centre of each hot biscuit.
- Cool on trays 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Fill indents in each biscuit with jam.