Potato Pancakes are a popular irresistible potato treat in many Countries all over the world and everyone make them in different ways.They are basically made with a mashed potato mix formed into patties and cooked in a pan. I make them how we like in Italy: filled with Mozzarella cheese!
- 500 g (1 pound) potatoes peeled and cubed
- about 90 g (3/4 cup) all purpose flour + more for coating
- 4 g (1 tsp) sugar optional
- salt to taste
- black pepper
- Mozzarella cheese or other stretchy cheese like Cheddar, Swiss cheese…
- Oil for cooking I used Peanut oil
- Peel the potatoes and chop in medium size chunks.
- Boil potato chunks in salted water until fork tender. You can also steam them.
- Mash potatoes immediately when still hot with a fork (or a potato ricer or a potato masher) until smooth and creamy.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, pepper to the mashed potatoes and mix until get a not-sticky and slightly dry – but soft – mix. If too wet, add a bit more flour.
- Use a 4cm-1,5inch ice cream scooper to take 2 scoops of mashed potato mix.
- Well flour your hands to avoid sticking and form a disc.
- Place about 1 tsp of chopped Mozzarella cheese in the center of the disc and roll to form a ball.
- Slightly flat the ball, coat every side with some flour and place on a dish lined with parchment paper or well floured to avoid sticking.
- Repeat and use all the mashed potato mix: you’ll get about 9 potato pancakes.
- Heat a large non-stick pan with about 2 tbsp of vegetable oil (I’ve used Peanut oil) and cook every side at medium heat for about 5 minutes or until evenly browned.
- Drain over paper towel and serve immediately.