The Triple Delight Cake also known as Lapis Surabaya consists of three layers of cake, two layers with a naturally produced yellow color, and one layer which is mixed with cocoa powder to produce a dark brown color, with strawberry jam between the layers (you may substitute with your favorite jam.)
- 200gcaster sugar
- 20egg yolks
- 5egg whites
- ¾ table spoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 8 tablespoons strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 120°C (250°F/Gas Mark ½).
- Grease and lightly flour three 20 cm (8″) square or round sandwich tins.
- Beat together the egg yolks and sugar until creamy. Then beat the butter until creamy.
- Beat the egg whites until the mixture thickens.
- Mix the beaten butter and egg yolks together,
- Gradually add the flour and egg white into the mixture then add in the vanilla essence.
- Divide the batter into three equal parts and sieve the cocoa into one part of batter, mix well and pour into a 20 cm (8″) sandwich tin. Pour the remaining two parts of batter into the two other tins of the same size.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, starting with the cocoa batter then bake the two other tins.
- Warm the strawberry jam and pass the jam through a coarse sieve then sandwich the cocoa layer between the plain layers, spreading strawberry jam between the layers.
- Serve and enjoy.