With a luscious layer of cream cheese filling, these lightly spiced ginger snap biscuits have an irresistible crunch and soft, warming flavour. They are perfect for an afternoon snack with a cuppa.
- 120g self-raising flour
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 40g light brown muscovado sugar
- 50g cold butter, cut into small cubes
- small pinch salt
- 40g golden syrup
- For the cream cheese filling
- 100g (3 1/2oz) cream cheese
- 100g butter, softened
- 200g icing sugar, sieved
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, 160°C. In a large bowl, combine all the biscuit ingredients, except the golden syrup. Rub the mixture together in between your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add in the golden syrup and 1 tsp cold water. Mix this together with a spoon until combined.
- Line two baking trays with nonstick baking paper and roll the mixture into 12 even balls. Put six on each tray, allowing space for them to spread, and squash them down slightly.
- Bake in the oven for 10 mins or until golden and crackled. Remove then allow to cool for at least 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Combine the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl and beat to combine. Gradually add in the icing sugar until it’s all combined and beat for a further minute to aerate the mixture.
- Once the biscuits have cooled, assemble the sandwiches. Spoon 2 tbsp of the cream cheese filling into the centre of one biscuit and place another biscuit on top, then push the two together until the filling reaches the edges. Repeat until you have 6 sandwiches. Store in the fridge until needed.