These milk buns are soft,yummyand amazingly fragrant. If you like Asian bakery style buns and want to try making them fresh at home, this is the recipe for you!
- 250 g bread flour, 2 cup
- 50 g cake flour, ⅓ cup
- 30 g sugar, 2 tablespoon
- 20 g condensed milk, 1 tablespoon
- 85 g cold water, ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp
- 80 g cold milk (preferably whole milk), ⅓ cup
- 25 g whole egg, about half an egg
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast, ideally instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, ¼ teaspoon if using table salt
- 30 g unsalted butter, 2 tbsp
- melted butter for brushing
- Add flour, sugar, condensed milk, milk, water, egg and yeast into the stand mixer and knead on low speed until the dough is formed.
- Cover the mixing bowl and let the dough rest for 30 minutes. Store it in the fridge if your room temperature is higher than 80°F
- Meanwhile, bring the butter out from the fridge, cut it into 4-6 pieces and leave it on the counter to soften a little.
- When it’s done resting, add salt and continue to knead the dough for 1 minute.
- Add butter cubes one by one and knead until the dough is very smooth and passes the windowpane test. (This step takes me about 7 minutes, with 6 minutes on low speed and 1 minute on medium speed. The actual time it takes depends on your mixer. It can take up to 15 minutes.)
- Form the dough into a ball (it will be very sticky, but if it’s too sticky to handle, then add a little bread flour and knead for another 1~2 minutes) and put it in a lightly greased bowl. Cover, and let it rise for 1 hour to 1.5 hour in a warm place (between 80°F to 90°F) until it doubles in size.
- Transfer the dough onto a working surface and cut it into 12 even pieces. Cover and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Form each piece into a ball and place them in a lined baking pan, cover with greased plastic wrap and then cover with a damp cloth and let it rise in a warm place (between 80°F to 90°F) until it doubles in size (about an hour).
- In the last 20 minutes of proofing, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake at 375°F for 16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush the top with melted butter and transfer the rolls onto a cooling rack. Let it cool for 10 minutes before enjoying.