Don’t be fooled by its appearance – this is seriously one of the best tasting cakes we have ever tried, and it’s so totally simple! It caramelizes right in the pan while it’s baking, so you don’t even need to frost it! How easy is that?! (You can if you like, but there’s really no need!)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy skillet, on low heat, melt butter until it begins to foam. Stir for about 5 minutes, until it turns golden brown and smells nutty. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl and allow to cool in the fridge until solid, for about 30 minutes. Once solid, remove from fridge and set aside to bring back to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and place oven rack in lower middle section of oven. Butter a nonstick 9×5-inch loaf pan and dust with powdered sugar.
- Beat browned butter until it becomes creamy, then add sugar and vanilla. Continue beating for 3-5 minutes until well combined and creamed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, making sure each is thoroughly combined before adding the next.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder, then slowly beat flour mixture into creamed butter mixture until well combined.
- Transfer batter to loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, loosely cover with foil, then continue baking for 20-25 minutes. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then transfer, upside down, to a serving platter.