This perfect vanilla cake is easy, soft and moist and is perfect for any occasion. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then butter three 9inch round cake pans. Butter the sides and bottom of the pans then lightly dust with flour and tap out the excess. Buttering and flouring then the pan will ensure the cakes release easily when they are baked. In a mixing bowl, add flour together with baking powder and salt, lightly whisk them and aside.
In another bowl, beat together butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time while beating well with each addition, next add 4 teaspoons of vanilla extract and beat just until the vanilla is incorporated. Reduce the mixer to medium speed and add the flour mixture in thirds alternating with one cup of buttermilk. Beat until everything is just combined and smooth.
Divide the batter evenly among the pans then spread it evenly in the cake pans. Bake the cake in the centre of a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 28 to 30 minutes. Let the cakes rest in the pans for 10 minutes before removing them and place them on a wire rack and let them cool completely to room temperature.
For the vanilla buttermilk frosting, you will need a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat unsalted room temperature butter for 5 minutes on high speed then reduce the mixer to medium-low speed and add sifted powdered sugar. Mix until the sugar is blended in the butter then add a teaspoon of fine salt and vanilla extract then add 3 to 4 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream or milk to make the buttercream pipeable.
Your cream should be whipped and fluffy with great vanilla flavour. Place the first layer on a plate then add a generous layer of frosting then cover that with the second layer. Frost the top and sides of the cake and make sure you are using a generous amount of frosting then serve. This cake is one of those go-to recipes that is going to be perfect for every occasion.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (318 grams)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Butter and flour two 9″ cake pans, tapping out excess flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set flour mixture aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer), beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 5 minutes until thick and fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating well with each addition then scrape down the bowl. Add 4 tsp vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Reduce mixer to medium speed and add the flour mixture in thirds alternating with the 1 cup of room temperature buttermilk, allowing the flour and buttermilk to incorporate with each addition. Scrape down the bowl as needed and beat until just combined and smooth.
- Divide batter evenly between 2 prepared cake pans and spread out the batter into the pans smoothing out the tops with a spatula. Bake on the centre rack at 350˚F for 28-30 minutes.
- Rest in pans for 10 minutes then run a knife or thin spatula around the edges to loosen and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before applying Vanilla Frosting.