This easy, straightforward recipe for Golden Pillow Cake is simple but offers up a ton of flavor and an opportunity to learn a valuable new baking skill.
- 4 eggs
- Corn oil 50g
- Milk 55g
- Flour 100g
- Granulated sugar 120g (for egg yolk)
- Sugar 250g (for egg whites)
- Baking powder 2g
- Lemon juice 5g
- Sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter or spray with a non stick vegetable spray, a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and butter or spray the paper.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks.Freeze the egg whites
- In a medium bowl,whisk together flour,baking powder,milk,granulated sugar, salt,corn oil and egg yolks until smooth.Set aside
- In the bowl of your electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer)Add the frozen egg whites,lemon juice and sugar and beat on low speed until it forms a smooth meringue.
- Take the smooth meringue and add it to the egg yolk paste and whisk together till smooth
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan,sprinkle the sliced almonds and smooth the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake for about 55 to 65 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Then remove the cake from the pan and cool completely on a lightly buttered wire rack.