This is a super moist butter cake that is really easy to make. The addition of buttermilk in this cake adds a nice tangy flavor to the cake as well as it helps for a good rise.
- 250g/ 8.8Oz (1 3/4cup+ 1 tsp) All-purpose flour
- 200g/ 7Oz (1 cup) Sugar, granulated
- 250g/ 8.8Oz (1 cup+2 tbsp) soften Butter, using salted
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 80ml (1/3cup) Milk (whole milk, full fat)
- 1 tsp white vinegar (can substitute lemon or lime)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees (180C)
- Grease and line a round cake pan with parchment paper then take the milk in the jar and add a tablespoon of white vinegar, give it a mix and set it aside.
- Add butter to a large mixing bowl and beat it on high speed for about a minute until super soft and fluffy then add sugar and cream the butter and sugar together until well combined. Add 4 large eggs one at a time and mix it in until well incorporated in the butter before adding the next. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally to incorporate everything and beat it in.
- Add the prepared homemade buttermilk together with vanilla extract and beat together. In another bowl, add flour, baking powder and baking soda the give it a mix and sift the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients and fold the flour in the batter. Fold in until there is no flour in the batter and the batter is smooth with no lumps.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and spread the batter evenly around the pan and tap it a few times on the counter to get rid of any air bubbles trapped in the batter. Bake the cake in 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Once out of the oven, leave the cake in the pan for 10 minutes then invert it on a wire rack to cool completely or slice and serve while still warm.