Bursting with zesty lemon flavour combined with sweet coconut, these delicious muffins are light yet moist, and so moreish!
- 300 g self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder level
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda level
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 50 g butter melted
- 2 medium eggs room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 60 ml sunflower oil
- 100 ml buttermilk room temperature
- 120 ml coconut yogurt room temperature
- 90 g desiccated coconut 80g for muffin batter, 10g to sprinkle on top of baked muffins
- zest 2 lemons
- juice 2 lemons 1 for muffin butter, 1 for lemon glaze
- Preheat oven to 210°C/190°C fan. Line your muffin tray with muffin cases or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, caster sugar, light brown sugar and 80g of the desiccated coconut (keep the remaining 10g to sprinkle on top of the baked muffins) until combined. Set aside
- In a medium bowl whisk the melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, sunflower oil, buttermilk, coconut yogurt, zest of two lemons and the juice of one lemon (the juice of the second lemon is for the lemon glaze on the finished muffins).
- Now pour this wet mixture into the large bowl of dry ingredients, and fold together with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until JUST combined – do not over-mix as this will lead to dense, heavy muffins.
- Fill each muffin case all the way to the top.
- Place the muffin tray onto the middle shelf of your preheated oven. Set a timer for 5 minutes. This initial 5 minutes at a high temperature allows the muffins to rise more rapidly.
- At the 5 minute point, without opening the oven door, drop the oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan. Bake the muffins for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove the baked muffins from the oven onto a wire rack. Immediately brush the muffin tops with the juice from the remaining lemon, and sprinkle the remaining desiccated coconut on top of each muffin. The juice acts as both a ‘glue’ for the coconut, and adds extra lemon zing!
- After 5 minutes remove the muffins from the tray and place on the wire rack to cool completely
*Best eaten within 3 days. Store in an airtight container at room temperature