This is an amazing fluffy moist super soft sponge cake which is out of this world and absolutely incredible. You need to use good quality butter in this recipe to give you that nice buttery flavour and texture and creaminess that you want.
- 227 grams (1 cup or 2 sticks) butter softened
- 1 and 1/4 cup (250 grams) of granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp vanilla essence
- Orange or lemon zest
- 1 and 3/4 cup (210 grams) of cake flour
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- With your butter at room temperature put it in a bowl and break it up with a spatula and then using your hand mixer blend it for about 30 seconds just until it is nice and smooth on its own. After 30 seconds the butter should be nice and smooth then start to incorporate your granulated sugar into your butter.
- Cream together the butter and sugar for at least 8 minutes it is really important to whip air into the sugar and butter to help make the cake really light and super fluffy so take about 8 to 10 minutes to whip that butter and the sugar. After every minute take your spatula and run it around the edges of the bowl to bring it all back to the centre to make sure everything is incorporated that the butter and sugar become one with each other so they are nice and fluffy and beautiful.
- After about 10 minutes of mixing, start adding in the eggs one egg at a time and mixing well until incorporated before adding the next egg then add in vanilla and the zest in some orange or lemon and then go ahead and incorporated your extract and zest mix it in and move on to your dry ingredients. In a large bowl, sift in cake flour, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ( you can use all-purpose flour but cake flour helps the cake be super light and fluffy.)
- You are then going to add in the flour mixture and milk into the butter mix. Start by adding a third of the dry ingredients with a portion of the milk then mix until well incorporated adding them until all the ingredients have come together. Do not overbeat this batter but make sure there are no lumps in the cake batter before baking.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then lightly butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan or line with parchment paper then pour the batter in the cake pan and tap on the counter to make sure you get rid of large air bubbles. this cake will bake for 40 minutes in a preheated oven of 350F until it is nice and golden brown on top.
- It will pull out of the edges beautifully and let it cool for about 20 minutes or so before you flip it and if you touch on it will spring back and it is so soft and spongy and beautiful. Run a knife around the edges of the pan just to make sure the cake is freed well from the pan before inverting it over a wire rack.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature before slicing this beautiful golden cake and enjoy.