Set in layers of chocolate shards, chocolate ice cream and honeycomb nuggets and decorated with chunks of honeycomb and chocolate shards, this is a chocoholics dream come true!
For the honeycomb
- A little groundnut or vegetable oil, for greasing
- 100g (3 1/2oz) golden syrup
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the terrine
- 190g (7oz) dark 70% chocolate
- 2 x 500g (1lb) tub chocolate ice cream
- 500g tub good-quality vanilla ice cream
- Start by making the honeycomb. Lightly oil a clean baking tray. Pour the golden syrup into a large saucepan, then add the caster sugar and gently heat, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat and let the mixture bubble until it has turned a dark caramel colour. Whisk in the bicarbonate of soda – the mixture will bubble up. Quickly pour over the prepared baking tray and leave to cool and harden. Once hardened, pop about 120g (4 1/3oz) of the honeycomb into a freezer bag and smash with a rolling pin into little nuggets. Set the remaining honeycomb aside for the topping.
- Make the chocolate shards. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (or in the microwave). Line 2 baking sheets with large pieces of baking paper. Pour the chocolate into the centre of each and use a palette knife to spread out as thin as you can. Leave to set in the fridge, then break into large shards.
- Line a 1.2-litre (2 pints) loaf tin with 2 layers of clingfilm, making sure it overhangs the sides. Soften one tub of the chocolate ice cream in a bowl, then fold through half the honeycomb nuggets.
- Place about a fifth of the chocolate shards into the base of the loaf tin. Spoon the honeycomb chocolate over the top and smooth level. Cover with more of the shards and put back in the freezer until solid.
- Soften the vanilla ice cream, then spoon into the tin, adding shards of chocolate here and there. Level the top and cover with another layer of shards. Freeze until solid.
- Soften the second tub of the chocolate ice cream, then fold through the remaining honeycomb nuggets. Spoon into the tin and smooth level. Cover with another layer of shards. Bring the clingfilm up over the top to cover and then put in the freezer for 2 hours or until solid.
- To serve, turn out onto your serving plate and peel away the clingfilm. Decorate with chunks of the reserved honeycomb and the remaining chocolate shards.