Decided to start with a simple but healthy cake. The flavours of this recipe really do explode in your mouth. Even my daughter, who claimed she does not like carrot cake, has been enjoying this with vengeance!
- 250ml milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup golden syrup
- 225g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 115g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated carrot – squeezed of excess moisture
- 2 heaped tablespoons of ground almonds
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 26 cm long loaf tin with baking paper.
- Combine milk and sugar in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add golden syrup.
- Sift the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Dice the butter and add to the dry ingredients. Rubbing together to form fine crumbs.
- Using a beater add the milk mixture and then the egg.
- Finally add the carrot and ground almonds to make a smooth, thick batter the consistency of cream.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 45 – 55 minutes.
- Cool completely before turning out and icing.
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- juice and zest of 1/2 lime
- drop of milk
- In a small bowl combine icing sugar, lime juice and zest plus just enough milk to get the consistency you desire. Pour over loaf and leave to set.