Jerusalem Bagels or sesame bagels are very popular bagels in Jerusalem. These bagels are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and they coated with sesame seeds. If you love trying new bread recipes at home this is a must try recipe.
- 4 cups (500g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1½ cups (360 ml) warm water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1.25 cups (187g) sesame seeds
- Put flour, yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix and add salt, oil and water.
- With dough hook attachment knead the dough for 6-7 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a damp kitchen towel, let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- When the dough has risen, punch it down and turn it out onto a lightly floured countertop. Divide into 6 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Dig your thumbs into the center to create a hole and stretch the dough outward to create an oval ring.
- Dip the bagels in cold water then dip coat with sesame seeds. Place the bagels on a try lined with parchments paper. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190C (375F).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Until golden brown.