This easy brown bread ice cream is sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike!
- 75g (2 large slices) wholemeal bread with crusts on, preferably stale
- 10g salted butter
- 30g caster sugar
- 30g light brown sugar
- 500ml tub vanilla ice cream
- Using a food processor or blender, blitz the bread into fine crumbs.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan set over a low-medium heat and add the sugars and the breadcrumbs, stirring well to coat. Cook for about 10 mins, stirring frequently so that the crumbs don’t catch, until the mixture is deeply golden and caramelised. Set aside to cool completely, stirring now and then to break the crumbs up.
- When the mixture is cool, put the ice cream in the fridge to soften for 10-15 mins and chill a large mixing bowl. Using the chilled bowl and a spatula, fold the breadcrumbs into the ice cream then spoon back into the ice cream container, cover and freeze for 2 hrs or overnight to firm the ice cream up before serving with fresh, seasonal fruit.