These homemade potato buns are so soft and sweet with a melt-in-your-mouth texture! They are hands-down better than any store-bought buns and are quite easy to prepare.
- 4 cups all-purpose or bread flour (plus additional as needed)
- 1 cup mashed russet potatoes (225g)
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ½ cup water (120ml)
- ¼ cup whole milk (60ml)
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Egg wash (1 large egg, 1 teaspoon water)
- Add the water and milk into a dish, mix to combine then heat in the microwave until warm.
- Transfer into a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer) and add yeast and 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar. Stir and allow to sit until the yeast is foamy (5-10 minutes).
- After the yeast is foamy add the remaining 3 Tablespoons sugar, brown sugar, potatoes, melted butter, egg and egg yolk, salt, and approximately half of the flour.
- Stir with a wooden spoon (or a dough hook if using a stand mixer) until combined.
- Gradually add the remaining flour as needed until the dough forms a cohesive, somewhat sticky ball that clings together. (You may not need all of the flour called for above or you may find that you need more.)
- Transfer the dough to a clean, lightly floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and elastic about 5-10 minutes.
- Add additional flour to the dough only as needed as the dough should be slightly sticky for soft, fluffy rolls. (If using a stand mixer, simply use the dough hook and low-speed for this step, it will take about 5 minutes).
- Place the dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl and turn so the entire surface of the dough is coated with a thin layer of oil. Then cover and allow to rise in a warm, dry place for about 1-2 hours until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, gently deflate and transfer to a clean, lightly floured surface.
- Divide into ten even-sized pieces and form each into a smooth ball.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the dough balls on it, spacing at least 2-3” apart (you will likely need two baking sheets).
- Cover each sheet with a clean towel and allow to rise in a warm, dry place until increased in size about 50% (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- After the rolls have risen, lightly brush with egg wash then place in oven and bake for about 12 minutes or until baked through and light golden brown (if using two baking sheets, bake one at a time).
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet and then use a sharp, serrated knife to cut in half.
- Serve and enjoy.