Doughnuts topped with sprinkles are sure to make you smile, and these chocolate dipped doughnuts won’t disappoint! Soft and fluffy dough topped with a rich chocolate and syrup glaze, with a scattering of sprinkles. These doughnuts take a bit of time to make, but they’re totally worth it.
- 265g strong white bread flour
- 40g caster sugar
- 1 x 7g sachet fast-action yeast
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 75ml milk
- 65g unsalted butter, melted
- 1.5 ltr sunflower oil
- 100g dark chocolate
- 2 ½ tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp golden syrup
- 50g (2oz) chocolate or rainbow sprinkles
- 50g chocolate or rainbow sprinkles
- Put the flour, sugar, yeast and ¾ tsp salt in the bowl of a food mixer. Beat on a low speed until combined, then gradually add the egg, followed by the milk and butter. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 10 mins to make a glossy, elastic ball of dough. Remove, place in an oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Knock back the dough, and then knead for 3-5 mins. Divide the dough into 10 equal-sized pieces (use scales to be exact). Roll into balls, put on a floured baking tray (allowing plenty of room between each), cover with cling film and leave in a warm place until almost doubled in size.
- Pour the sunflower oil into a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan or deep-fat fryer. There should be at least 5cm between the oil and the top of the pan. Heat the oil to 180°C, being careful never to leave the oil unattended. Using a slotted spoon, lower 3 dough balls into the oil and and fry for about 3 mins, until puffed and golden. You will need to turn them over and hold them down after a minute or two as they begin to float. Carefully remove from the pan and leave to drain on kitchen paper. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- For the glaze, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and gradually add the butter, milk and golden syrup, incorporating fully after each addition. While still warm, dip the doughnuts in the glaze to coat the top. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle over the chocolate or rainbow sprinkles. Leave to set. Serve.