This brown sugar pound cake is utterly delicious. The pecans add a little extra crunch to this sweet and amazing cake. A mix between an icing is what you spread on and a glaze that you pour, this icing is way too delicious
- 1 cup butter unsalted, room temperature
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6 eggs room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans toasted, optional
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Grease and flour baking pan or spray with Baking Spray.
- Place butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugars and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time. Beat, after each addition, just until incorporated.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small measuring cup, mix together the milk and vanilla.
- Add the flour to the butter/sugar mixture alternately with the milk/vanilla mixture. Begin & end with the flour mixture. Add in pecans, if using.
- Place pan on the middle rack in a cold oven and set the temperature to 300°F.
- Bake 1 hour 10 minutes, test with a toothpick and check every 5 minutes thereafter. The cake is done when the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with just a few crumbs attached.
- Transfer cooked cake to a cooling rack 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
- Dust cake with powdered sugar or with glaze.