Chopped Oreos Cookies are folded into this creamy custard-based chocolate Oreo ice cream. If you’re a chocolate lover – This one’s for you!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 10-15 oreo cookies roughly chopped
- Prepare the ice cream base:
- Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a medium steel bottomed pot, add the whole milk, heavy cream, powdered milk, and granulated. Whisk the mixture vigorously until the milk powder is fully incorporated into milk and heavy cream. Turn the heat to medium/low and bring the mixture to a full simmer.
- Remove from heat, whisking the entire time pour some of the milk mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks to temper.
- Continue to pour the milk mixture and whisk until the egg yolks are combined. Pour the entire mixture back into the pot, along the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Cook over low heat, whisking the entire time until the chocolate melts, and the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon thickly. This can take anywhere from 2-6 minutes. Be sure not to let it scorch.
- Strain the mixture into a Ziploc bag. Seal the Ziploc bag, immerse it in the ice bath and leave until completely cool.
- At this point you can either churn in the ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions, or place in the refrigerator overnight to steep, then churn. Fold in the crushed Oreo cookies once the ice cream is frozen.
- Transfer the mixture to a container with a tight-fitting lid and place in your freezer.
Makes a little over a quart of ice cream.