These rolls can be made 2-3 days in advance if they are stored in an air-tight container. Or freeze the rolls in a freezer-safe resealable bag. To reheat the frozen rolls, thaw the rolls in the refrigerator overnight and then rest at room temperature for a couple hours. Reheat them in the oven for 3-5 minutes, or until they are warmed through.
Homemade Lemon-Rosemary Butter: Pour 1 cup (250 mL) of room temperature (66°F-70°F/19°C-21°C) heavy whipping cream into the Whipped Cream Maker. Put the lid on and pump the handle for 30-60 seconds or until resistance is strong and solids are formed. Remove the plunger and scrape off the butter from between the pieces using a table knife. Place the butter onto the center of a double-layered cheesecloth. Squeeze out the excess liquid. Add the butter solids to a small mixing bowl. Stir in ½ tbsp (22 mL) of finely chopped fresh rosemary, ½ tsp (2 mL) of lemon zest, and ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) salt and then mix well. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 1 pkg (16 oz/453 g) hot roll mix (including yeast packet)
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) instant mashed potato flakes
- 1 tbsp (15mL) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) hot water (120°-130°F/49°-54°C)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- Flour for dusting
- Oil for brushing
- Homemade Lemon-Rosemary Butter (optional) see Cook’s Tips
- Combine the hot roll mix, contents of yeast packet, potato flakes, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the hot water, butter, and egg with a wooden spoon until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Then turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until it’s smooth, adding more flour if needed. Cover the dough with a large bowl and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush the inside of the Large Rectangular Baker with oil. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Divide the dough into 15 equal pieces then shape into balls and place them in the baker. Cover the balls with a plastic wrap and towel. Let them rise in a warm place (80°F–90°F/27°C–32°C) for 30 minutes or until they are nearly doubled in size.
- Bake, uncovered, for 18–20 minutes or until they are golden brown. Let the rolls cool for at least 30 minutes. Serve with Lemon-Rosemary Butter, if desired.