This recipe is a hit and it’s so delicious. It has become a regular in my kitchen. The rolls are soft, tender and buttery. You can also make it into a loaf and it freezes quite well.
- Lukewarm water – 1/4 cup
- Yeast – 1 tablespoon
- Egg – 1
- Sugar – 1/3 cup
- Milk – 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon
- Bread flour – 4 cups
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Butter – 1/2 cup
- Raisins – 3/4 cup
- Egg or 1 tablespoon milk – for brushing
- Pour the lukewarm water to a mixing bowl.
- Add the yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Mix to combine and set aside until it blooms. About 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the egg and sugar.
- Add the milk.
- Add the flour and salt. Mix well, and form into a dough.
- Cover and set aside for 10 minutes. This is to make kneading easier. You can totally use a mixer.After 10 minutes, knead until it’s smooth.
- Add the butter.
- Knead until it’s well incorporated and the dough is smooth and stretchy.
- Transfer into an oiled bowl, cover and set aside until it doubles in size. About 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Grease you baking pan or baking dish with butter.
- Add the raisins or mixture of your favourite dried fruit. Knead it in until it’s well distributed.
- Divide the dough into 8 to 12 pieces and shape them into balls.
- Transfer to the baking dish, cover and place in a warm spot for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Brush the top with a beaten egg or milk or a combination of both.Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and brush the top with some melted butter. Remove from the dish and cool on a wire rack.