A deliciously moist & fluffy cake made from crushed pineapples. Makes for a perfect tea time or anytime treat!
- 1 cup (120 grams) all purpose flour (maida)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oil (any odourless vegetable oil will do)
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) caster or fine granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pineapple or vanilla essence/extract
- 1/3 cup pineapple chunks fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- Grind the pineapple chunks to a paste and keep aside. If you are using canned pineapple, reserve the juice in which the pineapples were canned. We will use this into the recipe.
- Grease an 8×4 inch loaf pan with butter and line it with baking parchment (baking paper). You can also grease the pan and dust it with flour if you don’t have baking parchment.
- Sift the flour, baking powder & salt 2-3 times. Keep aside. This ensures that the cake turns out light and airy.
- In a bowl, add the oil & sugar and beat it for a minute till the sugar blends it. It is OK if it does not dissolve into the oil completely
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat between each addition.
- Add the sifted flour in parts and gently fold until it has been incorporated.
- Add the pineapple puree and fold in. Add the pineapple or vanilla essence and fold in.
- Now add the reserved pineapple juice. By now the batter will be loose/thin. But this is OK.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees C for 35-45 minutes or till the skewer inserted comes out clean. See notes
- Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes before inverting the cake on it. Peel off the baking parchment and allow the cake to cool completely before slicing.
- Serve along with tea or coffee or enjoy it on its own.