When you add chocolate in your bakes, everything becomes different, this simple chocolate castella cake is prepared using a very simple batter then chocolate chips are added to take everything to the moon. This cake will be your new favourite. Start by preparing an 8-inch square cake tin by buttering the pan then lining it with a parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celcius then start by breaking 8 eggs then separating the yolks from the whites and place the whites in a large bowl.
In another bowl, sift in cake flour together with unsweetened cocoa powder and cornstarch, sifting will ensure your cake comes out soft from the oven and the addition of cornstarch will help to reduce gluten. In a small bowl, add corn oil heat the oil in a microwave for about a minute and thirty seconds then pour it into the dry ingredients mixture and using a whisk, start mixing them immediately until very smooth. Add in 50% dark chocolate chips and continue to stir gently for about three minutes until they are melted.
Add in milk and stir it in, at first it will be hard to mix but as you continue, everything will come together. Once everything has come together, add in the 8 egg yolks and mix in well in the cholate mixture and when the mixture thickens, add milk according to flour absorbed, different cocoa powder brands have a large water absorption so you may need to add milk until you have a very smooth and silky chocolate batter. You can add about 10 ml of milk each time while mixing until you achieved the desired consistency.
For the egg whites in that you saved in the first bowl, add in about 4 ml of lemon juice and salt then beat the whites, halfway through, add 110 grams of sugar then continue beating the whites until it reaches a soft peak. Start folding the egg whites to the chocolate batter using a spatula and mix then slowly from the bottom up. Slowly fold them until they form a homogenous mixture, remember to be gentle with folding so you don’t force air out of the batter because this will create a hard cake.
Once finished, add in chocolate chips and fold then in then pour the batter into the prepared 8-inch cake tin and top with more chocolate chips. You will need a rectangle baking pan then place the 8-inch baking tin with the batter in and add about 70 degrees of warm water to the outer baking tray.
Bake the cake at 330 degrees Fahrenheit for about 65 minutes. Use a skewer to check if the cake is fully baked before removing from the oven, if not, leave it for another 5 to 10 minutes while checking it. Once out of the oven, let the cake cool before removing it from the pan then serving it. This chocolate castella cake is super moist, flavorful, and can be enjoyed anytime, best served with a cup of tea.
- 90 ml of oil
- 100 grams cake flour
- 15g Corn Flour (corn starch)
- 25 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 Egg Yolk
- 8 Egg White
- 100ml of Milk
- 50% dark chocolate chips (about 20g)
- 110 grams of Sugar
- 1 gram of Salt
- 4 ml of Lemon Juice
- in a large bowl, sift cake flour, cocoa powder, and cornflour
- Break 8 eggs then separate 8 eggs whites and 8 yolks.
- Preheat the oven to 330 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Microwave oil for 1 minute 30 seconds to 90 degrees then immediately poured into the sifted flour mixture and stir evenly with an eggbeater
- Add chocolate, after completely melted, add milk and stir, then add the egg yolk and stir
- Adds salt and lemon juice to the egg whites then start beating the halfway through add the sugar in three portions while beating after each sugar addition.
- Beat until the egg whites form a soft peak then start folding the whites to the chocolate batter mixture until they are well mixed.
- Add 160 degrees Fahrenheit warm water to a baking tray then place the 8 inches prepared cake pan with the batter on top of the rectangle baking tray with water then place then ion the oven and bake the cake.
- Bake the cake in a 330 degrees Fahrenheit for about 65to 70 minutes. Let the cake cool before serving.