These are delicious cookies that bake super crisp. A little butter goes a long way and that is for these cookies too. You will start by adding room temperature unsalted butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and to that, sift in a cup of icing sugar and with the paddle attachmnet, beat the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- 5 Tbsp (75 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (130 g) icing sugar, sifted
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (100 g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with electric beaters, beat the butter and icing sugar until smooth.
- Whisk the egg whites to loosen and add half of them with the vanilla, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl then add half of the flour and beat in, again scraping the bowl well.
- Add the remaining egg whites, beat well and then finish by adding the remaining flour and beating until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into a large piping bag fitted with a medium plain tip and pipe the batter into the parchment-lined baking tray.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes until they brown at the edges. Lift the entire sheet of parchment from the tray to cool for a minute, then lift the cookies off of the paper to cool completely.
- Serve these cookies alongside a cup of tea or coffee.