This ultimate vanilla cake recipe is so delicious and moist, It’s super versatile too so you can literally pair it up with so many different types of flavors. The cake itself is nice and sturdy which makes it perfect when it comes to making a layer cake.
- ½ cup (113g/ 4Oz) salted butter (softened)
- 1 cup (240ml) canola oil
- 1 1/2 cup (300g/ 10.6Oz) white granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon (13ml) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (390g/ 13.8Oz) of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25g) salt
- 1 1/2 cup (360ml) buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F) and prepare your cake tin/tins by lightly greasing and flouring the sides (or simply use baking paper/parchment paper to cover the tin).
- Set the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment (or using an electric mixer) cream together the butter, canola oil, and sugar until creamy and well-combined. The mixture should be a creamy white color and thick in consistency.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition then mix in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- On the lowest speed on your stand mixer (or you can do this step by hand too), alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk to the cake mixture. Starting and ending with the flour mixture and mixing until just combined after each addition. Avoid over-mixing the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the pre-prepared cake tin/s, and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for 20 minutes before removing it from the cake tin. Let it completely cool before icing/adding in fillings.