Classic Alfajores cookie – Argentinean Style sandwich cookies filled with dulce de leche and rolled in shredded coconut. These cookies are so soft, that they will melt in your mouth!
- 2 sticks (230g) butter – soft
- 1¼ (150g) powdered sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (245g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (240g) cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10.6oz (300g) dolce de leche
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut (optional)
- Place flour, cornstarch and baking powder in a bowl. Whisk and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at the time, add vanilla extract, beat until incorporated. gradually add the flour mixture and beat until smooth dough is formed. shape the dough into a smooth disk, Wrap it and Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Line two baking trays with baking parchment, set aside.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch (1/2cm) thickness. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch (5cm) round or fluted cutter. Reroll leftover dough and cut more biscuits.
- Place the cookies on the baking sheets and Put back in the fridge for 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
- Bake 1 sheet at a time for 8-9 min, the cookies should stay pale on top. cool completely.
- With a pastry bag or a spoon spread dolce de leche over one cookie, gently close and make sandwich. For decoration roll the cookies in desiccated coconut or dust with powdered sugar.