The huge fluffy Japanese pancake was baked in oven and served directly in the cast iron skillet. A slice of butter on top of the pancake melted beautifully, It is easy to imagine how satisfying this fluffy castella pancake would be, and it’s actually not hard to guess how it is made.
- 2 large egg whites (75g)
- 1 egg yolk
- 30 g milk
- 40 g cake/AP flour
- 1/4 tsb baking powder
- 10 g honey
- 5-10 g sugar
- Combine and mix egg yolk, honey, milk in a bowl. Sift in flour and baking powder, stir and mix until batter is smooth.
- Beat egg whites with a hand mixer, add sugar in 3-4 additions. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 egg whites into egg yolk batter. Then combine batter and remaining egg whites, gently fold in batter.
- Pour batter into a buttered baking dish, bake at 180 C
- After 8-10 min of baking, pull baking dish from the oven, quickly slice across the top of pancake with a sharp knife. Then put it back into the oven.
- Bake for another 10 min or so, until the top turns golden
- Top castella pancake with a piece of butter, drizzle honey or syrup over it. Serve immediately!
- The pancake is warm, fluffy, and has a lovely, subtle taste of honey. If you don’t mind the calories, serve the hot pancake with ice cream, it is to die for 🙂