This is a super easy, very moist and soft butter cake that is tried and tested.
- 1 3/4 cup (230 grams/ 8.1Oz) Cake Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (250 grams/ 8.8Oz) butter
- 1 cup (200 grams/ 7Oz) castor sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (59ml) milk
- In a large bowl, sift all-purpose flour and to that add the baking powder. Sift the flour two to three times and this is going to bring a lot of air in the batter, set it aside. In another bowl, add one cup of salted butter, if you are using unsalted butter add one and a quarter teaspoon of salt to the dry ingredients.
- The butter should be at room temperature, beat the butter until it is very soft then add a cup of sugar and start beating the butter and sugar at low speed for about 2 minutes. Scrape the sides and continue beating the mixture for 15 minutes. One of the key tips to their recipe is beating the butter and sugar very well until the mixture is pale. Once you have beat the mixture really well, start adding 5 eggs one at a time and beat each egg until it is incorporated in the mixture before adding the next.
- Add vanilla extract and beat for a minute, if you just love the butter flavor you can leave the vanilla extract out. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the butter mixture spoon by spoon. Keep beating while adding the dry ingredients slowly. After you have added half of the dry ingredients, bring the milk and pour half of the milk into the batter, mix it through and continue adding the dry ingredients.
- Mix until the batter is dense then add the remaining milk and beat the batter until light and fluffy with no lumps. For baking, you will need a 7 by 7 square pan greased and lined with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin, smoothen the top and bake the cake in a preheated oven at 320 degrees Fahrenheit (160C) for 55 to 65 minutes but start checking the cake after 50 minutes.
- The cake should bake to golden brown and a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes then invert on a wire rack, slice and serve. Enjoy.