Easy chocolate caramel bars with a delicious crispy shortbread base and creamy caramel filling and chocolate topping.
- 200g of butter
- 100g of sugar
- 250g of flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 75g light caster sugar
- 400ml condensed milk
- 200g milk chocolate
- 25g white chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180° degrees.
- Grease the baking tin or oven dish with butter or line it with baking paper.
- For the shortbread base, mix the flour and sugar in a bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Add the 150g of cubed butter and knead it in with your fingers until crumbs form. Knead the dough into a ball and spread it over the bottom of the baking tin with your fingers.
- Poke holes in it with a fork and bake the base in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the caramel filling: heat the condensed milk in a pan and add the caster sugar and butter and stir with a whisk until everything is incorporated. Let it thicken for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the caramel over the baked cookie base and let cool completely.
- Heat the milk chocolate in a bain-marie and the white chocolate in a separate bowl.
- Pour the milk chocolate over the caramel layer and spread evenly over it.
- Make stripes of white chocolate (possibly with a piping bag or plastic bag with a tip cut off) over the milk chocolate. Draw stripes from top to bottom with a skewer.
- Let the millionaire’s shortbread harden further in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Then, if necessary, cut the edges nice and straight and the rest into equal cubes.