This golden syrup cake is delicious straight from the oven but it’s even better after a few days.
- 220 g Butter
- 220 g Caster Sugar
- 450 g Golden Syrup
- 450 g Self Raising Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 300 ml Milk
- Extra Golden Syrup To Pour
- Preheat the oven to 150C/gas mark 3. Grease the tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Place butter, syrup, and sugar into a large pan and heat gently until the ingredients are just melted together, stirring occasionally. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat the eggs with the milk. Add the flour and milk/egg mixture to the cooled syrup mixture in the pan and beat steadily with a wooden spoon until all the lumps have gone.
- This may take some time to get lumps out. Pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for around 50 minutes. The cake will be well risen and springy, but still very moist.
- After cooling pierce the cake with a skewer and spoon the extra golden syrup over the top. Leave to cool completely in the tin.