This cake is super soft and fluffy, moist with a beautiful crumb to it with a melt-in-your-mouth texture. It’s super buttery which you want for a delicious butter cake, it is the perfect treat for afternoon tea. This is the best butter cake you will ever make.
- 1 cup (220g/ 7.7Oz) salted butter
- 1 cup (220g/ 7.7Oz) caster sugar
- 1 tbsp unflavoured vegetable oil
- 5 eggs
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g/ 7.7Oz) All-purpose flour or cake flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (112ml) buttermilk
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract/essence
- If using unsalted butter, add 1/2 a teaspoon of salt to the dry ingredients
- Regular sugar can be used as a substitute for caster sugar
- Bake at 150 Celcius (300F) for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Do not open the oven too early otherwise this will affect the texture of the cake. If you want to check your cake earlier, then only start checking it at 50 minutes.
- Used an 8-inch square or round cake tin.