This lemon cream pie is a dessert that will take you through the day; it’s perfect for serving at any time
Vanilla Wafer Crust
- 40 vanilla wafer cookies, crushed (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar, optional
- 1/4 cup (salted or unsalted) butter, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (about 3 lemons)
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (about 4-5 lemons)
- 3 large egg yolks (no whites)
- 1/2 cup (salted or unsalted) butter, room temperature
Cream Cheese Filling
- 12 oz brick cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Whipped Cream (divided)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- CRUST: Preheat oven to 350˚F. Combine the wafer crumbs, sugar, and melted butter in a 9-inch pie dish. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until lightly brown. Cool completely.
- LEMON CURD: In a large microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and egg yolks. Whisk together. Cut butter into cubes and add to mixture.
Microwave on full power for one minute intervals. Whisking after each minute, for 3-5 minutes total, until the curd coats the back of a spoon. (Do NOT overheat.) Remove from microwave, push through a fine mesh sieve into clean bowl or container. Cool to room temperature.
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING: In a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- WHIPPED CREAM: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream — adding the powdered sugar slowly. Whip until stiff peaks. Store half of the whipped cream in a container with a lid in the refrigerator.
- Fold the other half of the whipped cream into the cream cheese filling. Spread into the cooled crust. Dollop the cooled lemon curd over the cream cheese filling and spread evenly with a spatula. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and REFRIGERATE for 4 hours to overnight. Top with the remaining whipped cream before serving. Keep leftovers covered in the refrigerator.