Let us talk about a zebra cake, it’s a cake that a zebra and a zebra that’s a cake. It’s a cake that made love with a zebra and the result is the most light and fluffy vanilla cocoa sponge that you will ever see in your life. This cake is going to be spectacular, it takes a little bit of scooping and a little bit of mixing but we are going to end with the most beautiful marble zebra cake.
- 350g/ 12.3Oz(1¾ cups + 2 tbsp) self-raising flour
- 2 ½ tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 300g/ 10.6Oz (1½ cups + 2 tbsp) caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 300ml sunflower oil
- 300ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a deep 23cm/9″ round cake tin with a removable base and line with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Place the wet ingredients into a measuring jug and whisk together. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the contents of the jug.
- Beat together by hand or with an electric hand-mixer until you have a smooth mixture.
- Take out ½ the mixture and place in a second bowl, sieve the cocoa powder into this mixture and mix until smooth.
- Now, put a tablespoon of the vanilla mix in the middle of the tin. Then, using a clean tablespoon, put a blob of the chocolate mix in the middle of the vanilla one.
- Keep doing this, alternating between vanilla and chocolate, each time you dollop a blob in, the whole mix will spread out on the base.
- By the time you have used up both of the cake mixes, they should have just reached the edge of the tin. 2 ice-creams scoops are great for doing this if you have them.
- Bake for 90 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool before transferring to a wire rack until completely cool.