Two classic flavors, blueberry and lemon, and one incredibly fluffy cake.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- 4 large Eggs2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large Egg, beaten
- 1 large Egg (yolk only), beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest 3 tablespoon Butter, cut into 3 pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in bowl; set aside.Place 1 1/2 cups blueberries into another bowl. Add 1 tablespoon flour mixture; toss lightly. Set aside.
- Combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup butter in another bowl; beat at medium speed until well mixed. Add 4 eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 teaspoon lemon zest; beat at high speed until well mixed. Add remaining flour mixture alternately with milk, beating at low speed after each addition. Gently fold in coated blueberries.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans; remove to cooling racks. Cool completely.Cut each cake in half horizontally making 2 layers each; set aside.
- Place whole egg and yolk into bowl; beat with fork. Set aside.Combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 teaspoon lemon zest in 1-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 3-4 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and is slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Whisk small amount of lemon mixture into beaten eggs. Repeat until half of lemon mixture is combined with yolks. Add egg mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 3-4 minutes or until mixture reaches 165°F and is thickened. Remove from heat. Add butter pieces; whisk until butter is melted. Refrigerate.
- Combine cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla in bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add whipping cream, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in chopped blueberries. Reserve 1 cup frosting by placing into resealable plastic food bag. Cut off small corner of bag.
- Place 1 cake layer, cut-side up onto cake plate. Pipe around edge using half of reserved frosting. Spread half of lemon curd over cake, staying within piped border. Place second cake layer on top, cut-side down. Top with 1 cup frosting. Repeat layering with remaining reserved frosting, curd and cake layers. Frost cake with remaining frosting.
- Garnish cake with lemon slices and additional blueberries. Store finished cake or any leftovers in refrigerator.